2007 Volvo V70
Replacing the battery
- Switch off the ignition and remove the key.
- Wait at least 5 minutes after switching off the ignition before disconnecting the battery so that all
information in the vehicle's electrical system can be stored in the control modules.
- Remove the bolts on the retaining bracket over the battery and lift out the bracket.
- Fold up the plastic cover over the negative (ground) battery terminal. or unscrew the cover over the
- Disconnect the negative cable.
- Lift off the plastic cover if necessary and disconnect the positive cable.
- Pull the ventilation hose from the battery.
- Lift out the old battery.
Installing a new battery
- Put a new battery into place.
- Put the lower retaining bracket in place and retighten the bolt.
- Reconnect the positive cable.
- Press the cover for the positive battery terminal into place and fold down the lid of the plastic cover.
- Connect the negative (ground) cable and fold down the plastic cover if applicable.
- Be sure that the ventilation hose is securely connected to the battery and that the other end of the hose
is properly routed through the ventilation opening in the floor of the battery compartment (see the
- Reinstall the retaining bracket over the battery and retighten the nuts.
The battery generates hydrogen gas, which is flammable and explosive. The battery is fitted with a
ventilation hose which vents hydrogen gas out of the battery compartment through a ventilation
opening in the bottom of this compartment. If the battery must be replaced, it is essential that the
ventilation hose is properly connected to the battery and that it is routed through the ventilation
opening provided (see illustration).
Be sure the ventilation hose is free of debris.
Only use replacement batteries equipped with a ventilation hose. Consult your Volvo retailer.
NOTE: After the battery has been disconnected or replaced, lock and unlock the vehicle with the central
locking system's remote control to reactivate such features as the power windows, moonroof, courtesy
file:///K|/ownersdocs/2007/2007_V70/07v70_09.htm (19 of 38)12/30/2006 5:49:45 PM