2007 Volvo V70
American Petroleum Institute (API) symbol
The API Service Symbol "donut" is divided into three parts:
The upper section describes the oil's performance level.
The center identifies the oil's viscosity.
The lower section indicates whether the oil has demonstrated energy-conserving properties in a
standard test in comparison to a reference oil.
pg. 191 Maintenance and servicing
Changing engine oil and oil filter
See the previous page for oil specifications and
for oil volumes. Refer to the Warranty and
Service Records Information booklet for information on the oil change intervals.
Volvo does not recommend the use of oil additives.
Synthetic oil is not used when the oil is changed at the normal maintenance intervals except at owner
request and at additional charge. Please consult your Volvo retailer.
Checking and adding oil
The oil level should be checked every time the vehicle is refueled. This is especially important during
the period up to the first scheduled maintenance service.
The vehicle should be parked on a level surface when the oil is checked.
If the engine is warm, wait for at least 10-15 minutes after the engine has been switched off before
checking the oil.
Checking the oil
- Pull out the dipstick and wipe it with a lint-free rag.
- Reinsert the dipstick, pull it out, and check the oil level.
- Add oil if necessary. If the level is close to the MIN mark, add approximately 1 US quart (1 liter) of oil.
- Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature.
- Switch off the engine and wait for at least 10-15 minutes and recheck the oil level. If necessary, add oil
until the level is near the mark.
file:///K|/ownersdocs/2007/2007_V70/07v70_09.htm (10 of 38)12/30/2006 5:49:45 PM