2-5. Driving information
Cargo and luggage
Capacity and distribution
Cargo capacity depends on the total weight of the occupants.
(Cargo capacity) = (Total load capacity) - (Total weight of occupants)
Steps for Determining Correct Load Limit
(1) Locate the statement “The combined weight of occupants and
cargo should never exceed XXX kg or XXX lbs.” on your vehi-
(2) Determine the combined weight of the driver and passengers
that will be riding in your vehicle.
(3) Subtract the combined weight of the driver and passengers from
XXX kg or XXX lbs.
(4) The resulting figure equals the available amount of cargo and
luggage load capacity.
For example, if the XXX amount equals 1400 lbs. and there will
be five 150 lb passengers in your vehicle, the amount of avail-
able cargo and luggage load capacity is 650 lbs. (1400 - 750
5) = 650 lbs.)
(5) Determine the combined weight of luggage and cargo being
loaded on the vehicle. That weight may not safely exceed the
available cargo and luggage load capacity calculated in Step 4.
Take notice of the following information about storage precau-
tions, cargo capacity and load.
● Stow cargo and luggage in the trunk whenever possible.
● Be sure all items are secured in place.
● Be careful to keep the vehicle level. Placing the weight as far for-
ward as possible helps maintain vehicle balance.
● For better fuel economy, do not carry unnecessary weight.