Fluid Level Check — Four-Speed Automatic
Use the following procedure to check the transmission
fluid level properly:
1. Park the vehicle on level ground.
2. Run the engine at normal idle speed for at least 60
seconds, and leave the engine running for the rest of
3. Fully apply the parking brake, and press the brake
4. Place the shift lever momentarily into each gear posi-
tion (allowing time for the transmission to fully en-
gage in each position), ending with the transmission in
5. Wipe the area around the dipstick clean to prevent dirt
from entering the transmission.
6. Remove the dipstick and determine if the fluid is hot
or cold. You can also read the transmission fluid
temperature using the Vehicle Information display in
the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) in
the instrument cluster. Refer to
Information Center (EVIC)
Љ in ЉUnderstanding Your
Љ for further information. Hot fluid is
approximately 180°F (82°C), which is the normal op-
erating temperature after the vehicle is driven at least
15 miles (24 km). Hot fluid cannot be held comfortably
between the fingertips. Cold fluid is at a temperature
of approximately 80°F (27°C).
7. Wipe the dipstick clean and reinsert it until seated.
Then, remove the dipstick and note the fluid level on
both sides. The fluid level reading is only valid if there
is a solid coating of oil on both sides of the dipstick.
Note that the holes in the dipstick will be full of fluid
if the actual level is at or above the hole.
MAINTAINING YOUR VEHICLE