6. Start engine and wait for ESC OFF lamp to turn off.
7. Apply brake pedal.
8. Turn steering wheel 200 degrees counter clockwise,
just over half a turn from center position. Push the
“ESC off” button four times.
9. Rotate the steering wheel back to center and continue
in a clockwise direction until 200 degrees past center.
10. Turn the ignition to OFF position.
11. If procedure was done correctly, ESC malfunction
lamp will flash four times after engine starts.
12. Procedure must be completed within 90 seconds.
13. Repeat the condition to re-enable Hill Start Assist
HSA Activation Criteria
The following criteria must be met in order for HSA to
• Vehicle must be stopped.
• Vehicle must be on a 3% (manual transmission), 3.5%
(automated manual transmission), or 8% grade or
greater (automatic transmission) hill.
• Gear selection matches vehicle uphill direction (i.e.,
vehicle facing uphill is in forward gear; vehicle back-
ing uphill is in REVERSE gear).
HSA will work in REVERSE and all forward gears when
the activation criteria have been met. The system will not
activate if the vehicle is placed in NEUTRAL or PARK.
STARTING AND OPERATING