When the shift lever is in the AutoStick position (beside
the DRIVE position), it can be moved forward and
rearward. This allows the driver to manually select the
transmission gear being used. Moving the shift lever
forward (-) triggers a downshift and rearward (+) an
upshift. The current gear is displayed in the instrument
cluster. In AutoStick mode, the transmission will only
shift up or down when the driver moves the shift lever
rearward (+) or forward (-), unless an engine lugging or
overspeed condition would result. It will remain in the
selected gear until another upshift or downshift is cho-
sen, except as described below.
• For all models except GT, the transmission will auto-
matically upshift when necessary to prevent engine
• For GT models, the transmission will remain in the
selected gear even when maximum engine speed is
reached. The transmission will upshift only when
commanded by the driver. Engine overspeed protec-
tion is provided by the engine controls.
• The transmission will automatically downshift to first
gear when coming to a stop. After a stop, the driver
should manually upshift (+) the transmission as the
vehicle is accelerated.
• With 2.0L or 2.4L engine, you can start out, from a stop,
in first or second gear. Tapping (+) (at a stop) will
allow starting in second gear. Starting out in second
gear is helpful in snowy or icy conditions.
• If a requested downshift would cause the engine to
over-speed, that shift will not occur.
• Avoid using speed control when AutoStick is engaged.
• Transmission shifting will be more noticeable when
AutoStick is engaged.
STARTING AND OPERATING